2.19.2009

Powershift '09!

Next thursday I will be heading in a big 'ol van to Washington D.C. to take part in Powershift '09!! Powershift is a 3-day youth summit that will be calling our government to take immediate action against the climate change that is occuring. The first two days will be spent in workshops and lectures that will help the youth bring back the resources they've gained at Powershift to their schools and workplaces across the nation. So far 10,000 are signed up. There will be some pretty amazing people there, I am excited to say Nancy Pelosi (speaker of the house) will be our keynote addressee. The list continues with many other high ranking government officials and others. Some of the panels include: Climate, Creatures, and Ecosystems, False Solutions: Agrofuels, and Yes We Did: Empowering Youth, When Coolie became Cool: Cultural Appropriation, Grassroots Outreach, and many many many more! There will also be two big preformers, SANTOGOLD, and The Roots! And Monday, the last day of the conference, we will be marching to Congress to lobby. Very, very exciting.

I am so excited for Santogold, I'm so excited to see that she has taken part in such an event. I will most likely be missing The Roots as I will be dining with my Aunt and cousin, cousin-in-law, and the new baby boy that she is about to pop out. Little James is only days away from joining the world! And I have not seen my DC family members in two years, so it will be really nice to catch up properly.

The only downside is the fact that we are driving the 20hours. For 7 people though, it is cheaper to drive than to take a train/bus/plane. Only 3 of the 7 will be driving, as 4 of the students are at a local high school and the remainder are students at my university. So 6 hours of driving will not be fun. I will be making a mega mixtape or maybe I'll just go by a ipod tuner since I will know the car will have a lighter plug. We are going to be staying at a local church for free and the conference itself is only 40 dollars. I will be going to the grocery store and bringing all of my own food. Probably a few Indian Heat and Serve dishes, cous cous, granola, cereal, and tons of fresh fruit and veggies. We get back Tuesday morning, and at noon I have my first midterm...it probably won't fair well, but climate change and a chance to participate in this large scale of a movement is far too powerful to pass up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I didn't know you were going to this!? So, how was it? Was your fav greenie, Al Gore there? Smiles. Good for you, Sars. Keep up the good and green work.
David
Seen any good bumper stickers lately? Heard any new Greg Laswell lately? My crystal ball says you will.