5.17.2008

Couscous Salad & Cupcakes

So my sister's graduation is over. I have to say I was proud, it was cool. The first university graduate of my nuclear family. It was crowded and took awhile to find seats, but we did. We came home to find out that my sister's dog went under the fence and went bolting. Our friend's kids came to bring the chicken for the party. Ella is very timid, she apparently threw up and then ran away. I was freaking out. I went around my neighborhood for what seemed like forever screaming her name and asking neighbors if they saw her. I get a call maybe 30mins later and my sister has found her a half a mile from our house. Little mischievous dog, gave me a heart attack. My dog, was barking at me when I got home, he never does, so I realize that he was telling us that Ella left. He's such a good boy. He did the same when Maggie would get out

So my mom made the Couscous salad with Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas. It was really good. I loved it. She was yelling at me when I was taking photos of it, since she thinks I wouldnt give her credit for the dish. Well here we have it, my mother made it, I did not. I am not taking credit for it. Now that that is over.
The recipe can be found on Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine webiste. It calls for whole wheat couscous, cauliflower, carrots, scallions, and for seasoning salt and pepper, cumin, and lemon zest. The flavors were delicious and it was served on a bed of arugula. Everybody who tried it loved it.





Today I received my last batch of cookbooks that were ordered. I received Dreena Burton's
Everyday Vegan and Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.


I HAD to make cupcakes today I decided...so I did. I made them for my sister. Since I still havent gone to the store for margarine or agave nectar and a few other vegan essentials, I just made the vanilla cupcakes with a ganashe topping. They were very very good. I think next time I will use less cornstarch and replace it with something else. They have a bit of a strong cornmeal flavor. I did add a pinch of cinnamon to the batter, and it made them so delicious. We did not have big cupcake cups, so I made mini's. They are just too cute. My mom loved them and hopefully my sister will too. I will definitely be making these again.

2 comments:

michael said...

mmmmmmm, those look fantabulous! Congratulations on your maaaad cupcakery skillz! :)

x

Jaanie said...

man, those cupcakes look bloody brilliant!!
i want some.
gimme gimme gimme!