10.13.2008

Bean and Rice Burrito

I am feeling a bit better. Thank you all for your kind words. Fluids and soup were my best friend this weekend. My mom did make a delicious lentil dish for me on Saturday night. Green lentils, yellow and red peppers, onions, turmeric, and vegetable broth. It called for parsley, but I stopped her right before she put it in. I have to say, parsley and I are not friends. But it was really delicious. Im so excited I brought the leftovers back with me...hello Monday night dinner.

Now that I am back at school, there is 3 days left til our fall break. I have 3 days of school to make-up, plus two exams...bring it on!

I will speak about my concert adventure, where my friends and I all went to the Chicago Diner had lovely vegan food. But that review and pictures from the show will come in about a weeks time.

Now to review another of Vegan Dad's recipes. Im telling you, I love his recipes. They are simple, few ingredients, and are most of the time less than an hour to prepare. It is great for any student. The Bean and Rice Burritos looked amazing from the picture. I love beans, rice, and jalapeno peppers, so this recipe was definitely for me. The recipe was quite easy, just had to wait for the rice to cook really. I had bought nacho cheese from Whole Foods that day, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to use it...wrong. Turns out I hated the nacho cheese. It was mostly a strong after taste from the cheese. The bean and rice and tomato mixture was perfect though. It was just what I was looking for. Nice simple meal, with great potential for leftovers. Next time I make this, I will leave the cheese out. I have yet to find a cheese that I am truly satisfied. I do like Tofutti slices, but I cant find any around here. Im not fond of Galaxy's white cheese slices, but their yellow cheese slices are perfectly okay with me. I am dying to get my hands on Teese and as well Dr. Cow's Tree Nut Cheeses. Once it gets colder, I will order the cheeses (since I wont have to pay extra for a cold pack).

Mhmmm, cheeese. One thing, Im still learning to live without. My house probably has 10 different types of cheese at one time. My mom is from Denmark and loves every cheese; therefore, I am quite partial to cheese after cheese myself. At Whole Foods today, I saw a blue cheese walnut bread, it was extremely tempting, probably the most tempting thing I have seen since going vegan. I am learing how to live without, but it will take some time.

What non-vegan item is most tempting for you?

3 comments:

girl least likely to said...

hey there! you should be able to find the tofutti slices at outpost; not sure if you've tried there yet. :) and last i checked, they were stocking teese at the riverwest co-op. true story!

Anonymous said...

What do I miss? Pizza, Cheese and hard boiled eggs.
I love Blue Cheese, and Roquefort. The cheese section at Whole Foods is tough to walk by for me.....

I always liked hb eggs on my salads, as well as egg salad sandwiches.

Ordering a pizza on movie nights is a pretty great american tradition......

Whenever I am tempted, I go home and watch a minute or two of an undercover factory farming video. My cheese cravings suddenly seem trivial compared to the suffering of millions of animals.......
The spiritual benefits of Veganism outweigh any discomforts we suffer.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

hmm.. I'm not really tempted by anything... i get cravings but usually for the vegan version anyway... there really isnt much you can make mock these days. :)

I guess if I had to pick something, I wish more restaurants served delicious, homemade, healthy vegan burgers on wheat buns. So often they're some crappy frozen patty.